The Lowdown on the Hookup Culture: Five #Facts (Shameless Sex Series)
Society seems obsessed with free sex. The hookup culture is alive and well, and it’s not just millennials or Gen-Zers engaging in sex on demand. In today’s episode, I’m giving you 5 reasons the hookup culture is no bueno and 5 practical steps to exit right out of it.
Many of us have been sold a lie that in order to embrace our sexuality, we need to be “sexually free,” or promiscuous, for lack of a better word. There are no rules, right? Do whatever pleases your fancy. The truth is the hookup culture has caused more pain, heartache, and loss than it’s worth. Whether or not you are a Christian, there are many reasons why the hookup culture isn’t a great idea. These reasons range from scientific reasons to spiritual reasons.
Here are a few (You’ll have to listen to the full episode to hear them all):
Risks of Premarital Sex
- The hookup culture is responsible for a higher divorce rate.
- The hookup culture is responsible for fake intimacy (This is really important. Please listen around the 13:12 mark.)
- The hookup culture hinders commitment.
I go into much detail on these three and two additional “risks” of premarital or extramarital sex. But let’s not just talk risks . . . let’s talk about real, practical steps people can take when trying to turn their sexual lives around.
Practical Steps to Exit the Hookup Culture
- Decide to become accountable to yourself. Real accountability is an inside job first.
- DO NOT rush into marriage. This might sound counterintuitive coming from a pastor and marriage coach. But trust me, marriage will not solve your self-control issues.
- Watch what you watch. This is another very important simple step in the right direction.
To hear the additional two tips for exiting the hookup culture, be sure to listen to the full podcast.
Remember, we are invited to live in freedom, but sexual freedom is not what our culture teaches us it is. The apostle Paul writes in Galatians 5:13, For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love (NLT).
Other Helpful Resources:
Web MD – Benefits in Delaying Sex Until Marriage
Why Premarital Sex is a Bad Idea
Need Relationship or Marriage Coaching?
SUBSCRIBE | SHARE | RATE | COMMENT
To ensure you never miss an episode, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Remember, sharing is caring! So, share these episodes with your friends and family via email or social media.
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.